About Phuket

General:


Phuket is Thailand's largest island, located in Andaman sea on Indian Ocean. There is long history for more than 3,000 years and had evidence in 157AD well been establish mentioned in the script written by Claudius Ptolemy as Takola cape. Phuket formerly derived its wealth from tin and rubber, was one of the major trading routes between India and China, and was frequently mentioned in foreign ship logs of Portuguese, French, Dutch and English traders. The region now derived much its become from tourism.


View Larger Map

Phuket covers area of 543 sq.km. excluding small islands, and about 39 other islands belong to Phuket. It is approximately 863 km. apart from Bangkok to the south. The island total length from north to south is around 48 km. and 21 km. wide.

Phuket topology is exceptional with 70% of its area covered with mountains which from north to south and the remaining 30% being plains located in central and eastern parts of the island. It has a total of 9 brooks but doesn't have any major rivers.


The most attracted tourists area on Phuket is Patong beach, on the central western coast, most of Phuket's nightlife, cheap shopping and budget hotel is located here, and the area has become increasingly developed. The western coast is located many destination beaches  as Karon Beach, Kata Beach, Kata Noi Beach, Nai Harn Beach and Rawai beach are at the south western coast. To the north western coast are Kamala Beach, Surin Beach, Bang Tao Beach, Nai Yang Beach and Mai Khao Beach and etc. Apart from Phuket, there are many interesting small islands around including Coral Island, Racha Island, Lone Island, Khai Islands, Phi Phi Islands or even further lie to the north west as Similan Islands, Surin Islands and Tachai Islands. Islanders engage in a lively tourist trade, catering to snorkelers and scuba divers.


Weather:


Phuket has tropical climate, mostly hot and humid all year round. Only 2 seasons are summer and rainy seasons, temperature from 23C to 35C. March is the hottest month and September is the wettest month.




Transportations:

There are 3 ways to entering the island by airplane, buses and drive by self, there is no railway to Phuket or provinces near by. Transportations all around are :-

Taxi: The most common use by tourists because of convenience however it is flat price and difficult to bargain. There are everywhere on the island for airport transfer, from hotel to another destination, sales a city tour and etc.
Taxi Meter: Since 1st August 2014 taxi meters launched from Phuket international airport. Fares are 50 Baht for first 2 km and 7 Baht per kilometer up to 21 km then go down to 6 Baht per kilometer. On top of that there is surcharge 100 Baht when boarding from airport.
Motorbike Taxi: is useful when is a short ride, cheaper and faster than take a taxi but unsafe and mostly those guys are very old. The most important they are avoid to get caught by police, perhaps they don't have public driving license.
Buses: the most inconvenience transportation on the island is buses. Shutter bus from airport will end at Phuket town only, no beaches destination. Local buses are only public transportations from Phuket town to the destination and return, for example Phuket town - Patong beach and return. There is no bus from Patong to Kata or Karon beaches directly even just only 15 - 20 minutes, we must go to Phuket town and take another bus from Phuket town to beaches which takes minimum 1 hour.

To rent motorbikes or cars are another option to move and discovery the island, international driving license is required when traffic polices check however if anyone hold Southeast Asia driving licenses no matter which countries are fine to drive in Phuket.

By the way, if now you are looking for transportations please check this out!

Emergency contact:

There are some emergency contacts just in case you need support while you stay in Phuket:-
Police: 191 
Tourist police: 1155 or 076 223 891 to 3
Marine police: 076 211 883
Narenthorn emergency service: 1669
Patong hospital: 076 344 034 to 5
Mission hospital Phuket: 076 237 220 to 6
Bangkok hospital Phuket: 076 254 425
Vachira hospital: 076 361 234
Phuket International hospital: 076 249 400
Thalang hospital: 076 311 033 to 4
Phuket international airport: 076 327 230 to 7
Phuket bus terminal: 076 211 480




 
Copyright © Phuket tours with Jo